Sunday, February 18, 2007

Dried apricots and new recipe

My dried apricot of choice is produced by Crazy Jack Organics. The don't contain any preservatives, and so are very dark in colour, but caramelly and absolutely delicious. On the bag of my most recent packet is a recipe for Vegetable Tagine with Apricots. Now, I know I'm not meant to have more than two to three dried apricots a day (all that concentrated sugar, etc), but the recipe - which is presumably to serve four people (that's the standard, isn't it?) - requires 100 g of dried apricots: that's just less than half the packet. So, providing I didn't have my usual chopped apricots on my porridge that morning, I'm sure I wouldn't exceed my apricot quotient in one serving.

Anyway, the recipe is not on their website yet, so I'm going to reproduce it here:

1 medium onion - finely chopped
1 small red pepper - sliced
1 medium aubergine - roughly chopped
100g Crazy Jack Apricots
1 medium courgette - roughly chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium carrot - thickly sliced
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 jar passata (guess I could substitute this for chopped tomatoes, if I can't find a passata without citric acid or added sugar)
1 clove garlic - crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper

1. In a large saucepan gently fry the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add the garlic, pepper, aubergine and courgette and fry for 2 minutes. Add the spices and stir well for 2 mins.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and cook until the apricots and carrots are soft.
3. Season to taste and serve with couscous.

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? I'll try it out and let you all know (let you all know? Who am I kidding - no one reads this blog!!).

No comments: